Sunday, June 9, 2013

Book Review: Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar

I have finished reading "Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar," and can say with 100% certainty that it has both changed my perception of "us," (humans, the universe) and yet it has also made it so much more complex. Although it is an extremely well written book, I have to say that I am slightly disappointed in the end.
The book did an excellent job in teaching the concepts behind philosophy such as idealism and empiricism but it never there was no evidence behind these concepts. I understand that the book was not trying to be bias in it's influence on the reader's personal view, but I think that it would have adequate to include evidence such as scientific evidence behind concepts such as the question of whether or not there is a god. I feel that this would help the reader in their pursuit of finding their own personal philosophy if there was evidence. As for me, I think there will have to be much more reading on the subject in order to fully come to a conclusion on where I stand.
All in all, this is an excellent book for anyone that is willing to do a little extra thinking while reading.

1 comment:

  1. Seems like an interesting book. When you referred to how you wished the author had mentioned if there was a god or not, does this mean you think that religion is the key to philosophy? Do you think God is a main part to finding personal philosophies? Is there ways He could be exempt from it entirely? Overall though, great post!

    ReplyDelete